Baystate Health Phlebotomy Tech II in Greenfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
The mission of Baystate Health is “to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion.” For over 130 years, Baystate has been a keystone of Western Massachusetts as it has evolved, grown, and emerged as one of the highest quality and most effective health care providers in the nation. Baystate Health was named a top 15 Health System in the country by Thompson Reuters; and is a PRC National Excellence in Healthcare Award Winner. Most recently US News and World Reportranked Baystate Medical Center and Massachusetts General Hospital as the only two hospitals in Massachusetts to achieve top quality ranking for five common procedures and conditions such as total joint replacement and congestive heart failure.
Baystate Health believes that the advancement of knowledge, through education and research, is essential to its mission of improving the health of the communities it serves. Baystate Medical Center has major programs in postgraduate medical education with residencies in Medicine, Surgery, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Pathology, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Medicine-Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, and Psychiatry; along with 22 fellowship programs.
Baystate Health is a forward-thinking organization. With impressive size, scope, and expertise, Baystate Health is the longtime market leader for health care services in western Massachusetts and is financially solid. However, as in most regions of the country, the healthcare landscape in western Massachusetts has shifted as a result of ever-increasing economic pressures and corresponding provider consolidation. Baystate Health is committed to its position as the key provider of tertiary level medical services to the people of Western Massachusetts. At the same time, Baystate Health has embraced a broader mission of promoting better health for the communities it serves and reducing health disparities. Baystate Health is committed to the provision of high value health care and is transforming how it delivers care and educates the next generation of physicians. One example of this is TechSpring, Baystate Health’s digital health care laboratory in downtown Springfield. Founded in June 2014, TechSpring works with entrepreneurs on ways that health care technology can fade into the background and take up less time.
In June 2015, Baystate Health established a new partnership with the UMass Medical School to develop a new regional clinical campus in Springfield, known as the University of Massachusetts Medical School – Baystate (UMMS-Baystate). UMMS-Baystate is now home to UMMS’ four-year Population-based Urban and Rural Community Health (PURCH) track, which welcomed its inaugural class of 22 medical students in Autumn 2017. Through this innovative program, the three institutions are partnering to strengthen the pipeline of new primary care physicians for the future in Western Massachusetts. These three institutions have also collaborated to create the Institute for Healthcare Delivery & Population Science, to generate and apply new knowledge to transform health care delivery and population health in support of Baystate Health’s strategic goals. The Institute conducts health services research projects in partnership with local, regional, and national stakeholders.
Baystate Franklin Medical Center (BFMC), located in Greenfield, MA, is an 89-bed community hospital that joined Baystate Health in 1986. The hospital boasts a state-of-the-art surgical center and a new endoscopy center that opened in August 2017. BFMC provides high-quality inpatient and outpatient services to communities in Franklin and Hampshire counties, as well as southern Vermont. Specialized programs include wound care and hyperbaric medicine, heart and vascular care, cancer care, family-centered obstetrical care, sports medicine, specialty medical and surgical services, inpatient behavioral medicine, and 24-hour emergency services.
- Possesses proficient level of skill and knowledge of phlebotomy procedures, principals and techniques to perform venipuncture and capillary puncture on diverse patient types in an In-patient, Emergency Room and Patient Service Center settings. Competent with assessment of vein size, location and position for vascular access from diverse patient types. Competent knowledge of routine lab tests and specimen requirements, as well as skills related to specimen receiving, processing and handling responsibilities. Possesses proficient level of computer knowledge and typing skills in order to perform thorough and accurate patient registration and test ordering functions, using multiple computer applications for live patients and/or drop-off specimens, following current registration and insurance protocols.
- Assists with training of new employees and/or students, as assigned. Position requires that incumbent be detail oriented and possess excellent verbal and intercommunication skills. Must pocess good organizational skills, being able to multitask and work effectively in a team environment. Ability to establish and maintain good client relations, presenting a professional manner at all times. Intermediate level of trouble shooting skills. Perform other duties as assigned. Flexible to adjust schedule to accommodate staffing needs.
- Accurately identifies patient and/or specimen, selecting correct patient and/or episode when performing registration/order entry functions. Completely and accurately labels specimens in adherence to departmental policy, with 100% accuracy.
- Demonstrates competent knowledge and proficient level of technical and judgmental skills to perform venous and capillary punctures to collect blood specimens for lab analysis from diverse patient types. Competent assessments of vein size, location and position for vascular access.
- Demonstrates proficient skill and judgment of age appropriate care to patients of all ages. Handles and responds to patient complications of blood collection, referring to appropriate person for immediate medical or supervisory attention.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of collection requirements and specimen handling in regards to: order of draw, patient preparation, use of equipment, collection of proper samples. Applies knowledge of specialized testing such as tolerance testing. Ability to calculate minimum or maximum blood volume to collect blood specimens from pediatric patients, according to current protocol, referring issues to lead/supervisor as needed.
- Performs centrifugation, processing and routine and special specimen handling for accurate testing utilizing available resources to acquire information as needed. Ensures delivery of STAT specimens in a timely manner. Performs packaging reference lab specimens, including specimen handling and applicable tracking logs or paperwork.
- With proficient knowledge of registration applications, performs full registration for live patients and/or drop-off specimens, thoroughly and accurately entering required information following current registration procedures and with adherence to compliance regulations; completes and secures appropriate diagnoses. Ability to perform troubleshooting of registration and test ordering, referring issues to lead/supervisor as needed.
- Performs test ordering and other functions in lab computer systems, ensuring accuracy and completion of data entry, to include selection of appropriate billing case and entry of appropriate comments. Contacts physician or appropriate parties for clarification of information. Performs standing order applications and prints SOAP requisitions. Performs intermediate level of troubleshooting of test ordering or other related functions, referring issues lead/supervisor as necessary.
Performs tasks related to record keeping, such as QA data, temperature & sanitation recording, bio-hazardous waste disposal, etc. Performs clerical duties to include copying, faxing, etc.
Minimum of 12 months experience. Completion of a formal phlebotomy or other medical program such as Medical Assistant, VLA Tech Asst., etc.
- High School diploma
- Proficient knowledge of phlebotomy and techniques acquired through clinical experience
- Possesses typing skills and basic knowledge of computers
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Speak, read and write English proficiently
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritize
- Good organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent verbal communication and customer service skills
This is a per diem position located in Greenfield MA. Candidate must be able to commit to full day orientation in Holyoke, MA.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID: 83531
Location: Greenfield, Massachusetts
Full/Part Time: Per Diem