Baystate Health Registered Nurse, RN,Perioperative in Greenfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
The mission of Baystate Health is “to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion.” For over 130 years, Baystate has been a keystone of Western Massachusetts as it has evolved, grown, and emerged as one of the highest quality and most effective health care providers in the nation. Baystate Health was named a top 15 Health System in the country by Thompson Reuters; and is a PRC National Excellence in Healthcare Award Winner. Most recently US News and World Reportranked Baystate Medical Center and Massachusetts General Hospital as the only two hospitals in Massachusetts to achieve top quality ranking for five common procedures and conditions such as total joint replacement and congestive heart failure.
Baystate Health believes that the advancement of knowledge, through education and research, is essential to its mission of improving the health of the communities it serves. Baystate Medical Center has major programs in postgraduate medical education with residencies in Medicine, Surgery, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Pathology, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Medicine-Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, and Psychiatry; along with 22 fellowship programs.
Baystate Health is a forward-thinking organization. With impressive size, scope, and expertise, Baystate Health is the longtime market leader for health care services in western Massachusetts and is financially solid. However, as in most regions of the country, the healthcare landscape in western Massachusetts has shifted as a result of ever-increasing economic pressures and corresponding provider consolidation. Baystate Health is committed to its position as the key provider of tertiary level medical services to the people of Western Massachusetts. At the same time, Baystate Health has embraced a broader mission of promoting better health for the communities it serves and reducing health disparities. Baystate Health is committed to the provision of high value health care and is transforming how it delivers care and educates the next generation of physicians. One example of this is TechSpring, Baystate Health’s digital health care laboratory in downtown Springfield. Founded in June 2014, TechSpring works with entrepreneurs on ways that health care technology can fade into the background and take up less time.
In June 2015, Baystate Health established a new partnership with the UMass Medical School to develop a new regional clinical campus in Springfield, known as the University of Massachusetts Medical School – Baystate (UMMS-Baystate). UMMS-Baystate is now home to UMMS’ four-year Population-based Urban and Rural Community Health (PURCH) track, which welcomed its inaugural class of 22 medical students in Autumn 2017. Through this innovative program, the three institutions are partnering to strengthen the pipeline of new primary care physicians for the future in Western Massachusetts. These three institutions have also collaborated to create the Institute for Healthcare Delivery & Population Science, to generate and apply new knowledge to transform health care delivery and population health in support of Baystate Health’s strategic goals. The Institute conducts health services research projects in partnership with local, regional, and national stakeholders.
Baystate Franklin Medical Center (BFMC), located in Greenfield, MA, is an 89-bed community hospital that joined Baystate Health in 1986. The hospital boasts a state-of-the-art surgical center and a new endoscopy center that opened in August 2017. BFMC provides high-quality inpatient and outpatient services to communities in Franklin and Hampshire counties, as well as southern Vermont. Specialized programs include wound care and hyperbaric medicine, heart and vascular care, cancer care, family-centered obstetrical care, sports medicine, specialty medical and surgical services, inpatient behavioral medicine, and 24-hour emergency services.
Responsible for the provision of basic nursing care to surgical patients in accordance with current BFMC Standards of Care and AORN, ASPAN, SGNA recommended practice and standards. Assumes accountability for the outcomes of nursing care. Collaborates with health team members, patients/families in the provision of care. Provides direct supervision to other health team members in the implementation of the patient care plan. Effectively delegates care to peers, department staff and other direct care givers consistent with their level of education and expertise. Acts as an advocate for patients/families/significant others. Assumes accountability for own professional practice and for aspects of nursing care delegated to others. Practices within accepted ethical and legal parameters of nursing. The Perioperative RN is responsible and accountable to provide patients with safe, quality, aseptic care during the Perioperative continuum including Pre-op, Post-op, Endoscopy, Minor Procedure and Pain Management. Administers and monitors therapeutic interventions proficiently. Demonstrates proficiency in applying the nursing process to assigned patients and families. Completes mandatory unit, Patient Care Division, and hospital wide in-services and requirements. Receives consistently positive performance appraisals in key areas of function and interpersonal skills.
This description covers the essential functions of the position. Employee is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
- Demonstrates clinically current knowledge, skill and competency including, but not limited to: Completion of mandatory annual clinical education, adherence to AORN, ASPAN, SGNA standards and recommended practices. Create and maintain sterile field. Perform sponge, sharp and instrument counts. Completes intraoperative/procedure documentation and accurate charging of supplies and equipment.
- Upon identification of an actual or potential problem, the nurse promptly initiates a plan of care and updates per unit specific guidelines. Reassesses priorities and makes appropriate changes in plan of care with patient/family’s input. Formulates realistic and attainable goals appropriate to the hospital setting and discharge needs.
- Analyzes the psycho-social impact of illness & hospitalization on individuals and families. Collaborates and negotiates with patients and families to arrive at an agreed upon plan of care.
- Utilizes and communicates with physicians and interdisciplinary team members to establish goals.
- Incorporates psycho-social, spiritual and cultural needs into plan of care.
- For each assigned patient the nurse will proficiently implement the individualized plan of care. Demonstrates proficiency in clinical nursing skills time. Independently organizes own assignment and prioritizes plan of care accurately. Delegates aspects of care to other personnel consistent with job description and skill. Consistently initiates interventions to maintain a safe and therapeutic environment 100% of the time as evidenced by an absence of preventable incidents. Anticipates outcomes of physician orders and nursing actions and seeks explanation when in question. Demonstrates flexibility in care without deviating from BFMC standards, procedures or policies.
- Responds consistently, to urgent and life-threatening situations with appropriate actions.
Provides formal and informal teaching relevant to health care needs of patients utilizing available resources. Ensures patients/families are informed concerning treatments, procedures and hospital policies and routines. Documents each phase of the. Initiates interdisciplinary discharge plan at time of admission. Completes appropriate discharge/transfer form and documents accordingly.
Associate Degree or Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or Diploma in Nursing.
- Minimum one year nursing experience. Preferred experience in Surgical Services.
- RN- Licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to practice professional nursing.
- CNOR, SGNA or ASPAN preferred
- CPR, ACLS required
- Variable start and end times
- Must be available for on call rotation
This position is located in Greenfield, MA. 32 hours per week, variable start and end times, Monday-Friday with night and weekend call rotation. Candidate must be able to attend orientation in Holyoke and Springfield, MA.
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID: 82412
Location: Greenfield, Massachusetts
Full/Part Time: Part-Time