Baystate Health Associate General Counsel in Springfield, Massachusetts
Baystate Health is seeking an Associate General Counsel
As the Baystate Associate General Counsel you will report to the Vice President and Chief General Counsel. You will oversee legal strategy and matters related to entity formation, joint ventures, hospital-physician alignment transactions, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, management services and other contractual arrangements, corporate and governance restructurings, and financing transactions. You will also have primary responsibility for oversight of contract management will routinely interface with the BH business development team and local legal/operations teams to draft, negotiate, and structure transactions, and you will assist with integration and other strategic issues. You will collaborate regularly with other senior leaders within the health system, particularly with senior leaders in Finance and Strategy/Business Development. While you will not directly manage other lawyers, you will manage a network of outside counsel and work collaboratively with other specialists across the health system.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Provide sophisticated and advanced legal subject matter expertise to senior management in relevant practice areas noted in the summary description above.
- Work with business partners to evaluate legal options and develop legal strategies to achieve business objectives.
- Draft and negotiate complex agreements with authority to make final decisions on legal issues.
- Collaborate with legal counsel for business partners, vendors, and other parties with respect to managing or otherwise responding to mutual legal obligations, opportunities, and risks.
- Participate in strategic decisions regarding business opportunities and strategy and regulatory compliance, including drafting internal policies and guidelines.
- Monitor the development of the health system’s contractual relationships with and obligations to customers, suppliers, and other parties.
- Provide leadership to and collaborate with inside and outside counsel by communicating objectives, providing strategic direction and providing ongoing information and support in order to meet expectations and achieve health system objectives.
- Serve as the primary contact for all contract review requests; review, evaluate, and give direction on agreements entered into by BH entities, with an emphasis on the legal and regulatory requirements placed on health care providers. Coordinate the review process of legal documents with outside counsel when specialty expertise is required. Provide legal advice to BH leaders and other BH employees on contracts and related issues.
- Actively manage a large volume of contracts to ensure contract expiration notices are received and acted upon by responsible parties. Organize and document work through the use of an electronic filing system and electronic contract management database. Handle inquiries about contracts and the contracting process.
What You Will Need:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- 7 years of experience advising hospitals, academic medical centers, home care service agencies, large physician groups, managed care organizations, or other healthcare providers, payors and/or investors on corporate transactional matters.
- Admittance to Bar in the State of Massachusetts is required.
- Strong drafting, analytical , research, organizational, and interpersonal skills, with transaction experience that includes entity formation, joint ventures, hospital-physician alignment transactions, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, management services and other contractual arrangements, corporate and governance restructurings, and/or financing transactions.
- Understanding of health care regulatory framework (e.g., Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, Civil Monetary Penalties Law, and HIIPPA), Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, and nonprofit and tax exemption matters.
- Excellent business judgment, ability to think strategically and give practical advice. Strong financial acumen; excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a highly collaborative team, in a fast-paced environment, to interface effectively with all levels of the organization and gain the trust and confidence of others.
- Strong work ethic and ability to prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously.
What You Need To Know:
Full-time / 40 hours
Location: 280 Chestnut Street, Springfield, MA
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID: 82561
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Full/Part Time: Full-Time