Baystate Health Cardiac Perfusionist, Full time, Sign on Bonus offered in Springfield, Massachusetts
*Baystate Health is seeking a Full-Time Cardiac Perfusionist *
What You Will Do:
Under the direction of Chief of Perfusion, the Cardiac Perfusionist is responsible for the operation of the heart-lung machine during surgery and the operation of special mechanical devices to assist in the conversion of blood and blood products. Operation of the heart-lung machine requires many skills and an extensive knowledge of medicine. The perfusionist must be prepared to deal with many emergency situations under extreme pressure. As an integral part of the heart team, the perfusionist must be able to communicate effectively and get along with physicians, nurses and other members of the team.
*Additional Responsibilities Will Include: *
- Responsible for patient management while on heart-lung bypass. Monitors and controls extracorporeal perfusion equipment during surgical procedures requiring heart-lung bypass.
- Provides adequate and proper perfusion to the patient during surgery. Provides and operates cardiac-assist devices in the weaning and termination phases of surgery.
- Responsible for maintenance and operation of ancillary equipment. This equipment includes but is not limited to intra-aortic balloon pump, blood flow measurement devices, heater/coolers, pacemakers and ventricular assist devices.
- Monitors the altered circulatory process closely, taking appropriate action when abnormal situations arise and keeps both the surgeon and anesthesiologist fully informed.
- Provides extended, long-term support of the patient’s circulation outside the operating room environment.
- Ensures the sterility and integrity of packaging of disposable equipment used as well as the correct setup and breakdown of all equipment, disposable and non-disposable, sterile and non-sterile. Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Performs equity quality controls for control/preventive maintenance, related documentation and reporting.
- Monitors and checks blood gases during surgery. Maintains and regulates the blood temperature to the patient during surgery. Records all relevant perfusion information during surgery and maintains the records after surgery.
- Provides set-up, priming, and initiation of Extra Cororela Membrane Oxygenation as well as troubleshoots ECMO circuit problems.
- Provides complete myocardial protection required during surgery; including providing blood or Crystalloid Cardioplegia delivery at proper temperature and proper pressure, whether antegrade or retrograde delivery.
- Participates in research activities.
- Responsible to provide staff training.
What You Will Need:
- Perfusionist Certification
- Massachusetts Licensure required.
- Bachelor Degree minimum with heavy concentration in science
- Graduate of accredited perfusionist program required.
What You Need To Know:
- Full Time position
- Located in Springfield, MA
- Monday through Friday schedule with weekend and night call resposibilities
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID: 81937
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Full/Part Time: Full-Time